Saturday, July 24, 2010

"The STEPS program - I can't say enough about it. It gave my daughter a new life."

"The STEPS program - I can't say enough about it. It gave my daughter a new life. My six-year old was in first grade and could not even read the letter "I". Furthermore, she didn't have the confidence in her ability to learn to read. We had been doing Hooked on Phonics for months with very little progress. By January, half way through the first grade, I had a conference with her teacher. She had said that more than likely M*** was going to have to repeat first grade. We were even looking into getting her evaluated for a learning disability, but before we took that step, we wanted to try one more thing. We are so glad we did. We were introduced to E*** for tutoring M***. She started immediately. The change in M*** came almost instantly. She learned the correct sounds for every letter of the alphabet. She learned how to use the letters to make words. She started to read. She passed first grade. She went from not even being able to read on a kindergarten level in January to being able to read third grade chapter books in July. The best part was that she gained confidence in herself. Her whole world opened up. She was reading everything. Not only did the STEPS program help her to read, it helped her to spell. Homework was no longer a struggle for her. Whenever I hear about a parent whose child is struggling with reading, I can feel what they are going through, and the first thing I do is tell them about the STEPS program and how it changed our daughter's life."
Amy N.

No comments:

Post a Comment